Friday, October 2, 2009

Book Review

Ender's Game is a book by Orson Scott Card that is about Ender Wiggin, who is a child genius that is selected by government officials to stop alien invaders from invading Earth. He goes through battle camp, excelling in everything, beating all the hardest challenges after many attempts. Ender's evil brother, Peter, is taking over earth, and wants Ender to return under his control. At the end of the book, after training with Mazer Rackham, Ender supposedly defeats the buggers. He lives on a new planet until he finds what's left of the buggers. Ender goes to the Queen of the buggers and communicates through thought to find that she is only trying to find a new planet for her people to live on and that she is very sorry for what she has done. Ender then makes it his mission to find her a home.

"Enders's Game is a guaranteed crowd pleaser." - Ben Bova.

In Ender's Game, Ender is portrayed as a young, self-consciences boy who is trying to understand who he is. He wishes to be the best at battle school, but he also wants to see his sister again. The conflict here really caught my interest, because it shows that Ender can easily have one of these things, but he cannot have both. Card shows that even though the main character is genius, he has his problems. He also feels guilt after his defeat of the buggers, believing he had ended their entire existence. Ender's Game allows readers to see that even the mind of a child genius has its problems.

"I'll carry you." said Ender [to the hive queen] "I'll go from world to world until I find a time and a place where you can come awake in safety. And I'll tell your story to my people, so that perhaps in time they can forgive you to. The way that you've forgiven me."

This book as probably the strangest reading experience I've ever had. I read the book, found it dull, because I very close-minded to this genre type. But as I re-read it to comprehend any details I missed, I found that I really respected the writing style. Card is abrupt with his tone, not giving long, dull explanations on what is occurring. Ender gives the rest of his life to the last remaining queen of the buggers, to help her find a new home. In the end, I decided that if your going to read science fiction, Ender's Game should be #1 on your list.

1 comment:

  1. The reviewer's overall imprssion of the book was good, he said he didn't like it a first but when he reread it he found it interesting. Bob noticed that the author was abrupt with his tone and didn't give long dull explanations. I didn't think it was and interesting passage from the book to explain, because it was just a short thing when Edner was talking to the Queen. I don't know if i would read this book, sometimes it sounds good other times bad so I'm undecided. The format does give me some flavor and there is enough information to tell if i would want to read this book or not. If i would take something out it would be the quote and put in a more exciting one.

    ReplyDelete