Monday, January 25, 2010

The Right Decision


I woke up that Saturday under terrible circumstances. My dad had just left, without a trace of where he went. My mother now had to work on her own to raise her two children, my older brother John and me, Lawrence. It was the worst feeling in my life. Three years later, my mom was doing well enough, but was very bitter. My father had disappeared without a trace. John was in his second year of college in Santa Fe, New Mexico. I hated the situation. I didn’t have a real family like my friends with a mom, dad, and siblings all together. I wanted freedom. I loathed the way my life was.


On a warm day in March, I drove down to Santa Fe to visit my brother. I had my escape plan all set up. I was never coming back to my mother. I just wanted to live away from my bitter mother and the life I had. I had a little bit of money in the bank I could take out using an ATM. I would get a job and just live life away from my corrupt family.


I reached my brothers college, parked, and went to his dorm. We talked for a little while, went to Wendy’s, and ate. John knew something was up with me. He was a smart kid. So he said, What is going on?” “Nothing.” I replied stupidly. “Stop hedging me.” So I told him everything. When I told him I was leaving, he got angry. “You have no reason to leave. I won’t let you. I will chasten you.” “I am sick of this confounded family. I am going to live my own life.” But of course he rebuffed me. “You know it’s wrong to do this and you’re going to regret it. Don’t ruin your life.” “It’s already been ruined! I’m done.” “I understand what you going through. But don’t be so obstinate. I’m going to introduce you to someone who helped me get comfortable with College. His name is Josué. He lives in the local Indian Reservation.” I was bewildered and annoyed at the same time, but I just decided to go. So we went.


My brother led me to a tent when we got there. Inside was a small, shriveled old Indian man. “This is Josué.” John told me. “I met with him before my Calculus 2 final and did amazing on it after.” Josué looked at me, but in a way I’ve never experienced. He was staring at the inner me, viewing the appearance of my conscience and mind. “You are troubled.” He said. “Why?” He didn’t pester me for an answer, but I decided to tell him about my family, and my plan. He stared that uniform stare. When I had finished he told me that I should consider my paths. I said I had no future with my family. He stood, grabbed some rocks, and jettisoned them into a fire he had just kindled. He sat down and told me to stick my head into the fire. This was insane. But I felt like this man knew what he was doing, so I obeyed. The fire felt cool as I stuck my head in.


At first, I saw nothing, but a vision started to come to me. I saw myself in about ten years. I was in a large mansion. I wondered which path I had taken to get this. My myriad of money had come to me from a large business investment. I was wealthy beyond belief, but after I noticed my future self seemed incredibly laconic and lethargic. It must be me if I stay with my family. But after a while I noticed moving throughout his, well my life, there was no one there. I had money, but I also had no one to share it with. I saw myself make more and more money, get more and more stuff, but never did I have anyone I loved with me. It was strange seeing myself this vapid. I finally found out which future self this was. My butler asked me if I had anyone to spend Christmas with, but I said in a phlegmatic tone I have no family. This was me. I was incredibly wealthy, and also the poorest human being this earth has known.


It felt like it had taken years to watch but when I stuck my head out I realized it had been a second. Josué put in a new powder. After the fire was up, I stuck my head in. The first thing I saw was myself graduating High School, with honors. Then I saw myself in College, in which I became a teacher. Then I saw myself meet a wonderful woman, and later marry. Then I saw my Children. I couldn’t take that part in. I noticed that my mother lived with me and my brother visited often. I seemed incredibly happy even though I was not as wealthy as before.


I pulled myself out of the fire. Josué told me to go and follow my path. He also said the things I saw could be altered, but not majorly. John drove us back to the college, where I had to make my decision. “What if Josué is wrong?” I thought. I was conflicted. I could stay, live a life not financially wealthy, but have great love. I could leave and be very financially wealthy, but have no one. I also hated having to have the weird family situation. But if I stayed, it would be fine after a few years. It was the toughest decision I ever had to make. I got in the car, said bye to my brother, who told me not to run away, and headed to my destination.


I entered the house and my mother welcomed me cordially. I hugged and thanked her for everything. A little confounded she just said you’re welcome. I decided I would never tell her that I had almost left her for good. I decided I would just live my life the way it unfolded and make the right decisions. I went to bed that night, depleted, thinking, “Well, that was eventful.”

4 comments:

  1. 1. The conflict of the story was that the main character was debating whether or not he should leave home and leave his mother or he should run away and start a whole new life. this was an internal conflict. it was resolved by the main character going to visit a man named josue and him showing him what his future could look like with both decisions. i was interested in the resolution because it was kind of like a decision between love or money.
    2. the main character changes throughout the story because at the beginning he just wants to get out of his mother's life and move on. it is important to the story because the whole purpose of the story was to kind of show what he thought was more important which ended up being his family.
    3. my favorite part to the story was when the main character gets to see his future. i thought it was interesting that such a small decision could change his life so dramatically, but its true. it occured during the rising action leading up to his decision. "I was incredibly wealthy, and also the poorest human being this earth has known." this line stood out to me because it is very interesting.
    4. i think the storys best quality is the resolution because it shows how important family is. The main character ends up picking to live with his mother because he learns that in the end it will make him happier and he will have people by his side that love him.
    5. i think the story's theme is family. the author shows how the main character is annoyed with his family and doesnt want anything to do with them but eventually learns how much they mean to him.
    6. i dont really think there is anything huge that the author needs to change. i really liked this story

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. The conflict of the story is Lawrence is debating to leave his familt and start another life or not. It was an internal conflict. It would have made it more dramatic if he had talked to his brother more.
    2.Well Lawrence changes over time because he ends up changing his mind by the end of the story.The story would be different because he would grow up to be rich and not learn a lesson.
    3.My favorite part of the story is when he sticks his head in the fire. It occured in the rising action."We talked for a little while, went to Wendy’s, and ate" I liked this because i like wendys.
    4.The best quality of the story is the resolution because it shows how family can be just as worth much as money.
    5.The stories theme i think is follow your heart because it will lead you in the right direction. He realizes what he would lose if he left his family.
    6. There is nothing to change.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VOCAB WORDS
    Loathed, hedging, chasten, confounded, rebuffed, obstinate, uniform, jettisoned, kindled, myriad, laclonic, lethargic, vapid, phlegmatic, depleted

    ReplyDelete